Monday, August 8, 2011 on Study Abroad and the 100K Strong Initiative

On July 29, 2011 the United States Department of State announced that from the Black Eyed Peas will direct a concert later this year in Beijing in support of the 100,000 Strong Initiative.  Below are two short videos of talking about the importance of study abroad and international travel with a focus on inter-city youth experiencing these opportunities.

Now, I'm not a huge Black Eyed Peas fan (my wife and kids are fans so I know a bit about them and their music).  However, I am a big fan of their song Where is the Love? from 2003 and if you listen to the song and lyrics (which I believe were created by then you can see that he has always embraced the idea of international/intercultural understanding.  Anyways, enjoy the song...


  1. Many students from urban communities are not aware of the benefit of living in a global community. They are also unfamiliar with 100k strong initiative. While I applaud for performing in Beijing to raise awareness of this issue, how will this reach the urban community? Shouldn’t he perform his concert for support of 100 k strong initiative in an urban community?

  2. @Anonymous ~ Great point on where to perform his concert. I don't think his concert in China will reach the intended audience.