Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Results are in: The Biggest International Education News of the last Decade was…


...September 11th (increasing international focus of U.S. students, immigration, image of U.S.)

Back on December 16, 2009 I posted my first poll to IHEC Blog asking “
What was the Biggest International Education News of the Decade?” The poll closed at 11:59 p.m. (CST) on December 31, 2009. In the end 65 votes were registered and I received a substantial number of messages via e-mail that were quite engaging and thought provoking. Here are the final results:

- Establishment of International Education Week - 5 votes (7%)
- September 11th (increasing international focus of U.S. students, immigration, image of U.S.) – 39 votes (60%)
- SEVIS – 13 votes (20%)
- Lincoln Commission/ Simon Study Abroad Foundation Act – 8 votes (12%)

Perhaps these weren’t the best news items to list or additional ones could have been added such as the Amanda Knox case and conviction or the increased focus in the U.S. (and globally) on internationalizing the campus. Are there others? If IHEC Blog is still around in December 2019 and my memory holds I will post a similar post for this new decade…

I want to thank everyone for taking a moment to vote in the poll and to those who contacted me via e-mail as I truly appreciate all of your comments.

Photo credit: NJScott

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing blog!! Study abroad gives a chance to learn of the culture and geographic of the other places.

    ReplyDelete