Thursday, August 27, 2009

Thomas Jefferson’s Views on Being Educated in Europe


This IHEC Blog post builds off of my post from yesterday entitled “Quotes by U.S. Presidents on the Importance of International Exchanges and the Fulbright Program” and my post last week entitled “American Students Studying Abroad during the Colonial Period.” In my post on American students abroad during the colonial period I provide a quote from Thomas Jefferson stating his opposition to sending Americans to Europe for an education. I’ve been doing some additional research and came across a transcription of the letter Thomas Jefferson (prior to becoming the 3rd President of the United States) wrote to John Banister (Member of the Virginia House of Burgesses) in 1785 on this subject. You can read the entire letter on a University of Groningen in the Netherlands website project here. It's a very interesting read!

No comments:

Post a Comment