Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Presidential Election Day in Hyde Park Chicago

I live and work in Hyde Park, Chicago and it is in the heart of Obama country. Barack Obama lives only four blocks from me and it's been very interesting to see how the security around his house has changed since he began to have Secret Service protection earlier in the year. Yesterday and today you hear helicopters flying all over the neighborhood.

My German host brother (from when I was an exchange student in Rosenheim, Germany during 1988) is here visiting for two weeks and I think it is a great time and a great neighborhood to be visiting. While I'm working he's using my bicycle to tour the city and he rides by Obama's house everyday which he finds "very cool". I'm encouraging him to head downtown tonight to see the Obama rally. He doesn't have a ticket but he is sure to get a good vibe from the action just by being outside before, during and after.

My 7 year old daughter is proudly wearing her Obama button to school today and enjoys finding signs, stickers and anything else that says Obama everywhere we walk and drive. We'll be sure to keep her up later than normal tonight to watch the election results. She's pretty engaged in the process for someone so young.

While there are many many important issues that frame this campaign I'm providing links to the candidates (at least the two that have a chance at the presidency) education policy sections of their websites so you know where they stand on the issues:

The Obama/Biden Education Policy: http://www.barackobama.com/issues/education/

The McCain/Palin Education Policy: http://tinyurl.com/5rzo6j

No comments:

Post a Comment