Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Dr. R. Michael Paige will be greatly missed!


From left to right: Me, Bruce LaBrack, Michael Paige, Darla Deardorff, Mick Vande Berg
Unfortunately this photo is fuzzy

This weekend I heard the sad news that Michael Paige had passed away. I first met Michael back in 2004 at the NAFSA annual conference in Baltimore just before I started my doctoral program. In Baltimore we talked for a bit about me pursuing my Ph.D. vs. my MBA...I ultimately went the Ph.D. route. Unfortunately, I didn't have an opportunity to study under Michael nor did I have the opportunity to collaborate with him but we shared a common interest in and respect for the scholarly side of the field. From time to time during the nine years I spent pursuing my doctorate we would communicate via email as he would check up on my progress and I would ask him advice. The last time I saw Michael was when this photo was taken at the Forum on Education Abroad conference in Chicago in 2013 which happened to be the day after I defended my dissertation. I found myself in good scholarly company in this photo and had a good chat with Michael about how my defense went!
The field and the University of Minnesota lost a wonderful scholar and colleague and I feel fortunate to have known him!

No comments:

Post a Comment