Thursday, April 22, 2010

What a great way to learn that one of your students was offered a Fulbright U.S. Student Program Grant


I follow @ConnectStateGov on Twitter (and you should too!) and last Thursday when I opened my Twitter account I was taken by surprise when I saw mention that a student I worked with (in my day job at the University of Chicago) in the current 2010-2011 Fulbright U.S. Student Program competition received the grant!  Below is a screen shot of that @ConnectStateGov post.  

Here is a brief description of how the news of her Fulbright success reached me via Twitter before traditional methods of notification:  Sarah receives notification that she is offered a Fulbright grant and she informs her parents...her proud father then posts the news to Twitter...@ConnectStateGov finds her father's Twitter post (I assume via searching for the term "Fulbright") and retweets said post to all of their 1,802 followers (which includes me)....I then open Twitter and catch the @ConnectStateGov post in the Twitter stream I follow!


Just another example of why I think Twitter is such a great new media tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment