Monday, June 15, 2009

Increase in Study Abroad Plans among Chinese Students

I came across an article this morning on China.org.cn. entitled “More Chinese Students Plan to Study Abroad” that caught my attention on two fronts. First, increased academic mobility among Chinese students is quite interesting to me and a topic I’ve blogged on in the past. Second, it was nice to see that the University of Chicago (my day job) was mentioned in the article as participating in the 2009 Beijing International Education Expo. According to the article, the China International Education Information Net (CIEIN) predicted that more than 100,000 students and their parents would attend the expo and that China’s Ministry of Education calculated that nearly 180,000 Chinese students studied abroad in 2008.[1] I was quite surprised to learn that only 180,000 Chinese students studied abroad last year as I thought that number would much higher! You can read the “More Chinese Students Plan to Study Abroad” article here.

Following are some of my past IHEC Blog posts related to Chinese students studying abroad:
Germany a Top Destination for Chinese Students ~ The Chinese “Global Tribe” Revisited
A Bookended Approach to Attracting Chinese Students

No comments:

Post a Comment