Monday, December 29, 2008

Academia.edu and other Social Networks

During this past year I've joined numerous social networks for international educators, researchers, graduate students and bloggers such as Linkedin, Knowledge Communities of NAFSA, ResearchGATE, Graduate Junction, Scribd, Facebook, and VerveEarth . The development and growth of these networks and how people use them to connect is quite interesting.

In addition to the networks listed above that I joined I wanted to highlight another that I think leads all others and is for researchers at institutions of higher education world wide. Academia.edu is a very well developed and functional network that provides academics the opportunity to easily make connections as well as create personal websites where you can upload your CV, papers and highlight various talks you've given. Here is a link to my academia.edu webpage: http://chicago.academia.edu/DavidComp

1 comment:

  1. Hi David,

    if you want to try another research network, then I suggest you have a look at Mendeley (www.mendeley.com, I'm a co-founder).

    Mendeley Desktop is free academic software for managing and sharing research papers. Mendeley Web is a free research network which lets you access your papers online, discover research trends and connect to like-minded researchers.

    We are still in beta, but I hope you will like our vision of creating a "Last.fm for Research" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzJbrA9EY7A). For feedback, just send me an e-mail or leave a comment on http://feedback.mendeley.com.

    Best wishes
    Jan

    ReplyDelete